Thursday, August 10, 2006

Perceptions


I wrote about her long back at someother place.I am copying a part of it here again.
"She got on to the stage very slowly,first time,i knew it was the first time she got up to talk on her own,"Farewell " ya,my senior batch students finished their final semester almost and they had farewell yesterday.When a girl announced "now i request the seniors to come on to the dias and share their exp " one after the other they were talking abt the college,the tour,the picnics,the parties and the classes and the lecturers.
When she got up there was a silence,will she talk????
she started " two years back when i entered the college i was scared and tensed.And when my seniors asked me to introduce myself i had tears and i never talked.When i was asked my one of my lecturers in the class to explain Diminishing Marginal Utility i was silent and the lecturer gave me all the time i needed but i couldn,then she asked me to meet her in the free hour.Well,the words she used sure made a diff to me as a whole.Today if i can handle the stage or my life without hesitation or without any fear then the credit goes to her,Thank u mam,I am going to sing a song,and this is for u "
The hall broke into a loud applause and she was right there smiling and proud of herself.With a twinkle in her eyes,I know she will never again be scared and she would never cry to get onto the stage.She looked at me for a sec before getting down the stage and i knew she is going to win all her battles in life now.No one can stop a person who is ready to try"


Yesterday i got a mail from her, and she is placed in one of the best firms as a HR professional,and she would be dealing with people,.people whom she ran away most of the times,and the girl who always was silent and sulking ,who never had the confidence in self and who thought she would be a failure and she let her frustrations show on her face when i met her 2yrs back as first sem student.
Never used to talk.and gets irritaed very easily and it was not arrogance,i knew it was something else.It had to be,the girl had a spark in her but she wont let me or anyone be near her,one day the words cameout "I dont like my parents attitude,i hate them and they do the same" and then went on long chats and discussions on life and world in general whenever i was free.It was tough but i kept seeing the changes,slowly she was trying and that was enough. and today wherever she got to,its only because of her determinaton and her dreams of flying high,God bless her.


Recently an uninvited guest had this look on his face which irritates me and his question sure made me wince "You are wasting your time by being just a teacher,you have so many options,why dont you join for a course in SAAP and get into some high salary fetching job,u can even leave this country and increase your bank balance,these days money is everything. Is it so? is money everything? i am not against any job,i am not averse to ppl making loads of money,my brother makes it,so does my hubby,but they are happy with the challenges of their work,they face them,work for it,they have sleepless nights and at times work for 20hrs or so at a stretch.
"kabhee kisee ko mukammal jahaan naheen milataa,kahee jameen to kahee aasamaan naheen milataa,jise bhee dekhiye wo apane aapamei gum haijubaan milee hain magar humajubaan naheen milataa"
It all depends on what you want from life,Well,wish i could answer him,but then the basic courtesy of not answering back to a elder person and my disinterest in having arguments with ppl who dont understand a given perspective made me silent.

Just then hubby who was sitting next to me sent me an sms because he couldn say it out then and there "I respect you for what you are and love you for being so,Be yourself" Thanks honey.

"Kuch Pal Palkhon Mein Palte Hain ,Kuch Pal Aankhon Mein Jalte Hain ,Yeh Pal To Hain Musafir, Chalte Jaayenge ,Dheere Dheere Lamha Lamha Bhool Jayenge Apni Dhun Mein Tehelte Hain."

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me First...

This blog reminds me of my favorite punch line:
"Let Me Be Me"

Frankly speaking, Money can only bring Luxury, not happiness.

At last but not the least...
Its not just your lectures that inspires ppl... even ur blogs does the same... I'm one such example... :)

Priya said...

I liked the way you have expressed it so well. Nice post. We have to be ourselves no matter where we are.
My first visit here.

starry said...

Beautiful post. your friend needed a boost to build her self esteem and to get strong. She had it in her just needed some help getting it out. I think one should do what one likes in life. money is not everything.I am sure a lot of people would dis agree with me.but thats how I feel.I had written a post earlier does money buy happiness. I say no because you can still be unhappy.I know everyone talks about money. you need money in life to live well and to give your children everything they need.but it should not be the end all.

srijithunni said...

Hi Alapana,

Thanks for your comment, and visit to my blog.

Yours is an amazingly beautiful blog. This post is also awesome.

Yes what is important is to be natural and self-like. You have stressed that precisely well.!

With Best Regards,
Srijith Unni.

Keshi said...

**Is it so? is money everything? i am not against any job,i am not averse to ppl making loads of money,my brother makes it,so does my hubby,but they are happy with the challenges of their work,they face them,work for it..

SO darn true! Do what u like to do, not what brings u too much money and stress.

Keshi.

Hip Grandma said...

i think we should thank God for being in a position to choose a career without having to think of the monetary gains.many may want to quit but have no choice.We have a husband who takes care of the bread.whether we have it with jam,butter,or tea, or eat just plain bread hardly matters.

Hip Grandma said...

I forgot to add that what you did for your student was highly commendable.keep up your good work.the world needs people like you.

Movie Mazaa said...

The question as to why I have been 'stuck with teaching', has been posed many a time, before me as well. And I have also detected a faint attitudinal change when I tell them that I teach in a college. 'Ah! thats better, not in a school, na?'!! :)

I have learned to take these comments in my stride, and move on. There was a time when I used to painfully explain to them, that teaching in a Kindergarten perhaps requires the greatest expertise and patience that a person can possibly ever have. Not any more. I leave them happy at the thought that I am not teaching in a school, and that I am much better off, somewhere else.

Some things never change, do they?
:)

Great post!

Movie Mazaa said...

BTW, I have blogrolled u!
:)

rachana said...

hi alapana..nice post.."aap kuchch karti kyu nahi???" is a terrible question to answer for non working talented ladies...who are doing all the wordly things excpt making money...sadly "kuchc karna" these days is all about making money!!

Deepak Menon said...

Expressions of love and affection are reflected in the entire blog you have made and your sharing of the poetic expressions in the lyrics of such wonderful songs tell me that you are a child of nature and have imbibed the beauty of nature in your personality. I got to your site from the Blogroll of Ganga where I too am one of his bloggers family - in fact just got to know that he has made another extraordinary blog ...
Always dream on .....
Deepak

ketki said...

its gud to make money( to earn is a better word)
I dont know abt this job but it think we should no think so much in terms of money that we lose ability to see beyond it!

@$#!$# said...

you are good as you are.....ok..so don;t listen to ppl....

n its good that u have no love for money...that shud be that last thing to love when there r so many more beautiful things in this world to love....

Alapana said...

Satish,Money to an extent is needed,but yeah,money is not proportional to happiness:)
Congratulations to you and hope to see you back soon here at alapana:)

Priya,thankyou,Life is all being about what we are,i feel the same:)

Alapana said...

Starrynights,you are right,maybe lot of people drown themself in the materialistic world and tend to term that itself as happiness.I do agree that money can buy you things but not emotions,feelings or for that matter happiness.Money can be a means for making a better living and nothing more.
My student is intelligent and she had such needed abilities to be on the top,but then she was held back because of so many reasons,but now i am glad she is where she needs to be.

Alapana said...

Srijith,thanks for all the words,mine is a simple blog dealing with emotions,i will be back at yours again and again:)

Keshi,thanks dear,and how have you been,i am sorry,its been long since i came to your blog,ooops,not abt coming but abt commenting,i do read all the posts,but at times some topics which are out of my range,i prefer to be a silent spectator,and been busy also,so wil be there soon.

Alapana said...

hipgrandma,thanks for the wonderful words,our husbands do earn bread for our living,but we do the same,maybe the proportions difffer and what do we have with it {jam or butter} is our choice and upto our preference,isnt it? but lot of people in our socity dont think so,they take the right to dictate and define our roles,and which i dont accept:)
The day i need advice and wont be able to handle my life then i will think of others words,but till then i think we all have our own choice and we have a right to make them:)

Alapana said...

Velu,exactly my experiences,ppl tend to pity that i am a teacher whereas i feel proud,People tend to feel that maybe i was not capable enough to be anywhere else so i chose teaching whereas i rejected umteen offers just to be a teacher,out of my choice and will.Why pity me then? or ppl like us? why do we have to go through those stares and differential attitudes?
Well,somethings might not change,but i wont change for any of them either:)

I blogrolled you too.

Alapana said...

Deepakmenon,thankyou sir,those words you have written were so beautiful that they made me smile after a tiring and tough day.music,trying to understand peoples nature and being a part of nature has been a part of my life and now i cannot live differently.Gods gift that i am still been able to be what i love to be.Not everyone is so lucky,isnt it? thankyou for being here and your blog is awesome,great writing and i will be back there again.

Alapana said...

ketki,you are right,money is not everything.thanks for your comment.

Ashish,i learnt it already not to hear what others opinions are when i know what i am doing is right:)
There are beautiful things in world,i agree,money is the last which i love:) will call you soon,been busy with relatives:)

Art said...

Hi dear.. Long time since I came here... Been very busy lately... Well what u r doing is a very respectable job... Just imagine.. the number of students you would be inspiring.. Wow!!!
I will be coming home for 2 weeks... but next time when I am back for good.. I will surely meet u....

Anonymous said...

In respecting your teacher, you learn how to respect yourself and
reach a higher level. Attaining higher levels leads to higher freedom
for you.In the past there were very few teachers. People used to
travel thousands of miles to find a teacher, to be with him.Those were
the days,people have tremendous respect for teachers.Everybody cannot
be a teacher, but because of universal education millions of teachers
are required. If evryone thinks to choose profession for minting
money..then who'll suffer? our future generation...lacking skilled
teachers..And i admire you for choosing this divine profession..
And i liked your hubby's attitude towards that sensitive incident,u
narrated..good on him...

Anonymous said...

Thank god i posted da above comment..After a third failure..i've done it..blogger dint allow me...Initially i saved dis comment into my gmail account..hehe...

take care

San said...

teaching is one of the most beautiful proffessions one can do ..

Movie Mazaa said...

പുതുവത്സരാശംസകള്‍!!

Thats Happy New Year in Malayalam!! Our New Year starts tomorrow, and thought I would wish u a wonderful year ahead!!

:)

anumita said...

Hey, the hubby is really sweet! I think some people go overboard trying to convince people that what they think about certain things, are the only ways to think... But then again, it takes all kinds to make this world. :)

Stone said...

:-)

Alapana said...

Hey arathi,i know you have been busy,but no probs,next time we both will make sure to meet eachother,But just let me know what date you wil be here,will call you up:) Hugs.

Gangadhar,thankyou,the comment sure was worth all the pains you had taken to post it here.

Alapana said...

ram,thankyou,just a doubt,Did you shift your blog posts somewhere or yet to make an entry? i couldn find anything at your blog site:)

San,you said it right,and i am thankful that i am doing so.

Velu,thankyou,wish you a wonderful new year.god bless.

Alapana said...

Anumita,Yes it does take lot of variety species to make this world:) Hubby is sweet,Hmmmm,yeah he is:P

Stoneji :)

Pallavi said...

Your hubby .... CUTEST... he he !!

Usha said...

Most of us only have the satisfaction of what we can do to change our lives but a s a teacher who can touch so many young minds in their impressionable age, you can chage so many lives.
It is wonderful that you have chosen your right vocation so early in life and are able to see clearly the joy of your special profession.
And I am so happy you are blessed with a partner who appreciates it.
God bless.

 

Designed By Blogs Gone Wild!